mirror of
https://github.com/carbon-language/carbon-lang.git
synced 2026-10-04 06:51:03 +01:00
In support of #426. There's still a little bit of surrounding framework that expects these decision files, but I'm trying to split out changes. Note I'm dropping affirming/abstaining, as well as the accepted date -- I'd be happy to copy-paste decisions into comments on PRs if it'd be helpful, but I thought maybe we could drop those from the repo given they aren't asked for in on new proposals. If we change our minds, we can always look at git history too.
73 lines
2.4 KiB
Markdown
73 lines
2.4 KiB
Markdown
# Criteria for Carbon to go public
|
|
|
|
<!--
|
|
Part of the Carbon Language project, under the Apache License v2.0 with LLVM
|
|
Exceptions. See /LICENSE for license information.
|
|
SPDX-License-Identifier: Apache-2.0 WITH LLVM-exception
|
|
-->
|
|
|
|
[Pull request](https://github.com/carbon-language/carbon-lang/pull/63)
|
|
|
|
<!-- toc -->
|
|
|
|
## Table of contents
|
|
|
|
- [Problem](#problem)
|
|
- [Background](#background)
|
|
- [Proposal](#proposal)
|
|
- [Alternatives considered](#alternatives-considered)
|
|
- [Rationale](#rationale)
|
|
|
|
<!-- tocstop -->
|
|
|
|
## Problem
|
|
|
|
Carbon is currently private, and should have a clear plan for going public.
|
|
|
|
## Background
|
|
|
|
Some of this is explained to people when they're asked if they'd like to
|
|
contribute to Carbon; the purpose of this proposal is to provide documentation.
|
|
|
|
## Proposal
|
|
|
|
See /docs/project/going_public.md.
|
|
|
|
## Alternatives considered
|
|
|
|
We have also considered going public immediately. We believe the noted criteria
|
|
are important to address before proceeding.
|
|
|
|
## Rationale
|
|
|
|
"An open, inclusive process for Carbon changes" requires us to make the decision
|
|
to go public in a clear and unsurprising way, with criteria that are written
|
|
down.
|
|
|
|
Going public too early introduces risks to the long-term evolution and
|
|
maintenance of the language by increasing the costs of the community members
|
|
developing it.
|
|
|
|
Ensuring that Carbon meets its functional goals, especially that of
|
|
interoperability and migration, will inherently require large scale
|
|
experimentation that is infeasible to do without becoming public at some point.
|
|
|
|
The core team is aligned on the core policy decisions, which are:
|
|
|
|
- The decision to go public will go through the usual proposal process.
|
|
- The structure of the proposal gives the things that we are looking for prior
|
|
to going public.
|
|
- We expect to delay announcing to the extent we can.
|
|
- We do not expect that to be so late that everything is done and we are ready
|
|
to ship. That is, we are not going to wait until version 1.0 is ready.
|
|
- We don't expect this to be so late that Carbon is no longer an
|
|
experiment.
|
|
|
|
Changes to the text and wording that align with these items should be submitted
|
|
as code reviews. The core team members chandlerc and zygloid will both approve
|
|
each code review.
|
|
|
|
An example change that would be covered by a code review: there will be no
|
|
automatic going public just because the criteria are met -- it will be a
|
|
decision of the core team.
|