We've talked about adding the title to the filename several times over the years and it seems really valuable. This requires us to compute a "slug" for the title spelling that can be part of the filename. Beyond that, we crossed 7000 recently, and so it seems likely that we will need to add digits sooner rather than later here, so this goes ahead and moves us to 6 digits so we don't have to adjust again for a reasonable length of time. To implement this and ensure we can sustain it going forward this adds a tool to our pre-commit that validates (and corrects if needed) the filename. In order to update everything and keep links working, there are a _lot_ of changes, but the most interesting for direct review are in `proposals/scripts`. Assisted-by: Antigravity with Gemini --------- Co-authored-by: Richard Smith <richard@metafoo.co.uk>
2.4 KiB
Criteria for Carbon to go public
Table of contents
Problem
Carbon is currently private, and should have a clear plan for going public.
Background
Some of this is explained to people when they're asked if they'd like to contribute to Carbon; the purpose of this proposal is to provide documentation.
Proposal
See /docs/project/going_public.md.
Alternatives considered
We have also considered going public immediately. We believe the noted criteria are important to address before proceeding.
Rationale
"An open, inclusive process for Carbon changes" requires us to make the decision to go public in a clear and unsurprising way, with criteria that are written down.
Going public too early introduces risks to the long-term evolution and maintenance of the language by increasing the costs of the community members developing it.
Ensuring that Carbon meets its functional goals, especially that of interoperability and migration, will inherently require large scale experimentation that is infeasible to do without becoming public at some point.
The core team is aligned on the core policy decisions, which are:
- The decision to go public will go through the usual proposal process.
- The structure of the proposal gives the things that we are looking for prior to going public.
- We expect to delay announcing to the extent we can.
- We do not expect that to be so late that everything is done and we are ready
to ship. That is, we are not going to wait until version 1.0 is ready.
- We don't expect this to be so late that Carbon is no longer an experiment.
Changes to the text and wording that align with these items should be submitted as code reviews. The core team members chandlerc and zygloid will both approve each code review.
An example change that would be covered by a code review: there will be no automatic going public just because the criteria are met -- it will be a decision of the core team.